History of formation and development of Van Mieu - Quoc Tu Giam
In 1070, King Ly Thanh Tong established Van Mieu and erected statues of Confucius, Chu Cong and Tu Phe (the four most excellent followers of Confucius were Nhan Hoi, Tang Sam, Tu Tu and Manh Tu), drawing 72 figures. Sage, four seasons of sacrifice, the Prince came to study.
In 1076, King Ly Nhan Tong established Quoc Tu Giam and sent mandarins to school. The Tran kings expanded Quoc Tu Giam in 1243, 1253 and renamed Quoc Hoc Academy, later Quoc Tu Vien. In 1433, King Le Thai To allowed the selection of offspring of mandarins and elite citizens to study at Quoc Tu Giam. Under the Le dynasty, Quoc Tu Giam was raised to become a large-scale university: From the South entrance to the South, the two sides are a Doctor's beer garden, through Dai Thanh gate to Dai Bai yard; Dai Thanh temple worshiped Tien Thanh; Dong Vu and Tay Vu worship the ancestors of Tien Nho and Chu Van An and Canh Phuc Palace to serve as a place to store and store offerings. Behind Dai Thanh Palace is the Thai Hoc House, which has a lecture hall and a storage of boards that have been carved into books. On the East, on the West, there are 3 rows of 25 rows each with a house for 300 grape students.
In 1802, the Nguyen dynasty settled in Hue. Quoc Tu Giam became the school of Hoai Duc government. In 1805, Khue Van was erected in front of Thien Quang well; then built Khai Thanh temple to worship Confucius' parents built on the ancient Quoc Tu Giam. In 1947, Khai Thanh temple was devastated by the war.
On April 28, 1962, the Ministry of Culture decided to classify Van Mieu - Quoc Tu Giam as a historical and cultural relic.
On April 25, 1988, the City People's Committee decided to establish: Van Mieu - Quoc Tu Giam Cultural and Scientific Activity Center with functions and tasks: Managing and organizing cultural, scientific and artistic activities , guide visitors and restore the monument.
Since 1991 many works of the Temple of Literature - Quoc Tu Giam have been restored and embellished. In 2000, the construction of Thai Hoc area was completed to honor the national culture, to celebrate 990 years of Thang Long - Hanoi. Thai Hoc House was built on the ancient Quoc Tu Giam to honor the cultural tradition - national education. On the second floor of the Hau Dynasty, there are statues of kings: Ly Thanh Tong established Van Mieu (1070), Ly Nhan Tong established Quoc Tu Giam (1076), and Le Thanh Tong erected a Doctor's stele (1484). The first floor of the Back Street is the statue of Quoc Tu Giam Chu Van An, which has been worshiped in the Temple of Literature since 1370.
The Temple of Literature - Quoc Tu Giam is a symbol of the feudal Vietnamese educational culture, arousing national spirit, patriotic traditional education, fondness for learning and respect for the morality of the nation.